LCV Education Fund
– Standard Questions for State Polling Project
Now I want you to think
about the future. I’m going to read you a short list of
issues. For each one, please tell me how concerned you
are about that issue on a scale of 0 to 10, in which 10
means you are extremely concerned about the issue, 5 means
you are somewhat concerned, and 0 means you are not concerned
at all. You can use any number in between 0 and 10.
- Clean air and water
- Crime and drugs
- Sprawl and over-development
- Medicare and Social Security
- Global Warming
- Health Care
- The environment
about (state), what, if any, conservation or environmental
concerns do you worry about the most? (do not read options,
write in response. Use these few standard questions and
add a few state specific.)
- Water quality
- Air quality
- Sprawl and uncontrolled growth
- Traffic congestion
- Clean up of hazardous and toxic waste
- Open space or wilderness preservation
In making a voting decision, how important are conservation
or environmental issues for you when deciding how to vote?
In making a voting decision,
how important are issues involving clean water, clean air
and open space for you in deciding how to vote?
- Very important, they are a primary factor in deciding
how to vote
- Somewhat important, they are one of several issues
- Not very important, they are not necessarily an
issue you consider
- Not at all important, they are just not a consideration
in deciding how to vote
Now let me read you four
statements about the environment and please tell me which
comes closest to your own view.
- The laws protecting the environment are not strong
enough and stronger laws should be enacted.
- The current laws are tough enough but they are
not enforced, existing laws should be strictly enforced.
- The current laws and enforcement of those laws
are fine and should be left alone.
- The current laws protecting the environment and
enforcement of those laws are too strict and need to be
Please tell me which
of the following statements comes closest to your own views,
even if neither of the statements matches your views exactly.
- We can have a clean environment and a strong economy
at the same time without having to choose one over the
- Sometimes a clean environment and a strong economy
are in conflict and we must choose one over the other
Now let me read you two short statements
about two candidates and please tell me which one you favor.
Candidate A believes we must protect the
environment, and supports strong laws and enforcement of
Candidate B believes there are too many
government regulations, and supports efforts to relieve
the burden of regulation on business.
- Candidate A, strongly
- Candidate A, not strongly
- Candidate B, strongly
- Candidate B, not strongly